BALTIC Exchange lifeboat
The Baltic Exchange and its members are keen supporters of the RNLI and have sponsored lifeboats for nearly 150 years.
Baltic members recently raised over £500,000 towards the purchase of a new lifeboat for RNLI Salcombe to replace its current boat, Baltic Exchange II which first came into service in 1988. The Baltic Exchange III entered into service in 2008.
See www.salcombelifeboat.co.uk for full details.
The first lifeboat to be funded by the Baltic was the Mark Lane, based in Yarmouth in 1868 where it was in service until 1889. That single boat recorded 82 launches and was resposnsible for saving 189 lives.
The first boat to be called Baltic was number 198 which served in Wells from 1885 to 1895. Up until 1936 there were a further two Baltic boats at Wells.
After this era Baltic Exchange was launched in 1962 and relocated to Salcombe in 1970. During its lifetime this boat was launched 246 times, with 72 lives saved.
Salcombe lifeboat station history
1869 - Lifeboat Station established at South Sands, Salcombe.
1916 - Salcombe lifeboat William & Emma capsized at the harbour entrance drowning 13 of her crew of 15.
1922 - Salcombe lifeboat moved from South Sands to harbour mooring.
1939 - Silver medal awarded to Coxswain Distin and seven bronze medals awarded to the crew for the rescue of 62 persons from the Dutch passenger ship Tajandoen sunk by enemy action. Included were survivors from the Belgian steamer Louis Shield which had gone to the rescue of the Tajandoen before going aground in Bigbury Bay.
1943 - Bronze medal awarded to Coxswain Distin for the rescue of 11 people from the Admiralty Salvage Vessel LC18 on The Skerries, east of Start Point.
1979 - Thanks of the Institution on Vellum accorded to Coxswain Graham Griffiths for the rescue of three in a combined operation with a rescue helicopter from the coaster Heye-P.
1983 - Framed letter of Thanks signed by Chairman, The Duke of Atholl, presented to Coxswain Griffiths following the capsize of the Salcombe Lifeboat Baltic Exchange in Force 11 winds near The Skerries. The lifeboat self-righted and recovered a crew member swept overboard. The casualties, two divers, were rescued by helicopter.
1988 - Tyne Class ALB Baltic Exchange II on station.
1992 - Bronze medal awarded to Coxswain Frank Smith for the rescue of the coaster Janet C and her crew of seven. Baltic Exchange II towed the coaster clear of Start Point in Force 8 onshore winds and violent seas.
1992 - New lifeboat station, crew changing area, museum shop and training facilities opened in Union Street, Salcombe.
1997 - Framed letter of Thanks signed by Chairman, David Acland, presented to Coxswain Frank Smith for the rescue of the coaster Ina and her crew of seven. Relief Tyne class lifeboat Mariners Friend towed Ina clear of Bolt head where she had gone aground in Force 7-8 winds.
2001 - Marco Brimacombe appointed Coxswain and Andy Harris appointed Mechanic of Salcombe lifeboat.
2003 - Dredging and construction of new ALB pontoon.
2003 - New boathouse and crew facilities for Atlantic 75 Inshore Lifeboat B794 Joan Bate.
2006 - Baltic presents cheque for £547,332 towards new lifeboat, Baltic Exchange III, a 24 knot Tamar Class All Weather boat.
2008 - Mrs Gail Drayton, wife of Baltic chairman Michael Drayton names Baltic Exchange III