As membership of the Baltic Coffee House grew, larger premises were needed. In 1857 a lease on “Old South Sea House” was taken. The new building had an impressive hall where members met and transacted their business on a daily basis. In April 1858 the Baltic Company purchased the leasehold of South Sea House – financed through a mortgage and the issuance of shares. 37 of the shareholders were Greek members, others represented a variety of trades including indigo traders, tar distillers, oil brokers, hide brokers, tallow dealers, ship agents etc – and at least one shipowner.