Baltic membership along with world trade took time to recover after the end of the war. However, by the mid-1950s more space was needed - the Queen’s Room opened in 1956, with the foundation stone being laid by Winston Churchill. The introduction of telephone exchanges did mean that the necessity of face-to-face meetings reduced. Still, even in the 1980s hundreds of members would meet daily to gather information and transact business. In 1974 these numbers were slightly boosted by the admittance of women, despite many objections by older members.